The succession of meal courses obeys certain rules:
• Progression in flavors is essential
• Do not start with a too spicy dish
• Salty food precedes sweet food
• Do not serve too much starchy food
• Do not multiply sauce dishes
Wines are served according to certain rules:
• From the youngest to the oldest
• From the lightest to the most full-bodied
• From the coolest to the most chambré
• From the lowest to the highest in alcohol
• From the driest to the most mellow
• Fhe whites before the reds
• For the same wine, vary the vintage.
The difficulty lies in harmonizing dishes between them, wines between them, wines and dishes. It is difficult, sometimes impossible, to combine all these rules. A newly served wine must never make your guests regret the one they have just drank.